This Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake is fluffy and moist, full of poppy seeds with the right balance of sour and sweet. This is always one of my go-to desserts as its always a crowd stopper and even turns the heads of non-cake lovers!
1 ½ cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup milk
1 ½ Tbs white vinegar (or lemon juice)
110 grams butter, unsalted at room temperature
1 cup sugar, white
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs lemon zest
2 Tbs poppy seeds
110 grams butter
3 Tbs lemon juice
½ tsp vanilla essence
2 cups icing sugar
METHOD1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease springform cake pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a small bowl, combine milk and vinegar, and let rest for a few minutes.
4. In a separate bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and lemon juice till light and fluffy, around 5 minutes.
5. Add a third of the flour mixture and mix until just combined, then add a half of the milk mixture and mix until just combined.
6. Repeat step 5, then add the remaining flour mixture, lemon zest and poppy seeds then gently mix until just combined. It is important not to over mix during these steps to keep the batter light and fluffy.
7. Scoop batter into cake pan and bake in oven for around 50 minutes or until golden brown.
8. Rest cake for around 15 minutes, then make the icing by combining all icing ingredients and spread over cake. Sprinkle additional lemon zest and serve.