This cake is so rich and decadent; it is a chocolate lovers dream and the
1 heaped cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbs golden syrup
1 Tbs cocoa
1 cup milk
75g butter, softened
1 egg, beaten
¾ cup white sugar
Pinch of salt
Dash of vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven 160 degrees. Grease a 20cm springform cake tin and line
with baking paper.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In separate bowl, cream butter & sugar with hand mixer. Add eggs and
beat gently until combined. Fold in flour mix.
4. Dissolve golden syrup and baking soda in milk, and add to rest of the
mixture, along with cocoa & vanilla.
5. Bake for approx.40 minutes. (baking times may vary depending on your
oven). You’ll know its done when a skewer inserted in the center comes
6. Ice with choc icing.
Icing: sift 2 ¾ cup icing sugar with 6 T cocoa pow-der. In a separate
bowl, cream 6 T butter until smooth, then gradually beat in sugar
mixture along with 1 t vanilla essence and milk. Beat until light and
fluffy. Adjust to thicker or runnier texture by adding more milk or sugar.
To Serve: Top with fresh fruit