You can never beat a Classic French Toast for brunch on a lazy Sunday - I love adding some whipped cream and crispy bacon! Here's a tip: use stale bread as it prevents it from falling apart and also the longer you soak the bread the more custardy the texture
6 large eggs
1 ½ cups milk
3 Tbs sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
pinch of salt
6 slices of bread, preferably thick and a day old
4 Tbs butter, unsalted
2 bananas, to serve
1 punnet of blueberries, to serve
maple syrup, to serve
icing sugar, to serve (optional)
1. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
2. Lay the bread out flat on a baking dish or tray, making sure that they are not over lapping.
3. Pour over the egg mixture and let soak for 5-10 minutes. Then carefully flip over and let soak again for another 5-10 minutes.
4. Heat up a large frying pan over medium heat and melt a third of the butter. Place two slices of bread in the butter and let it cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the bread.
5. Serve up with bananas, maple syrup, blueberries and icing sugar.