This Cherry Cake is light and rustic with a perfect mix of tart and sweet. I love to eat mine with some warm, homemade custard - perfect to dig in to after a long day!
1 Tbs butter
1 3/4 cups fresh cherries, pitted (alternatively use pitted frozen or canned cherries)
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups milk
2 tsp vanilla essence
Pinch of salt
1 Tbs icing sugar (optional)
1.Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease your baking pan.
2. Spread 1 1/2 cups of cherries out evenly on the baking pan.
3. In a bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, milk, vanilla, eggs and salt, until a light batter is formed.
4. Pour the batter in the pan, over the cherries and add the remaining cherries on top.
5. Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until the cake has browned.
6. Serve warm with ice cream, whipped cream or custard.