This Cherry Custard Cake has a creamy, eggy texture with a perfect mix of tart and sweet. I love to eat mine with some warm, homemade custard - perfect to dig into after a long day!
1 Tbs butter
1 ¾ cups fresh cherries, pitted (alternatively use pitted frozen or canned cherries)
2/3 cup sugar
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cups milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
Pinch of salt
1 Tbs icing sugar (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease your baking pan.
2. Spread 1 ½ cups of cherries out evenly on the baking pan.
3. In a bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, milk, vanilla, eggs and salt, until a light batter is formed.
4. Pour the batter into the pan, over the cherries then add the remaining cherries on top.
5. Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until the cake has browned. Let it too cool for at least 15 minutes.
6. Serve warm with ice cream, whipped cream or custard.