This Strawberry and Rhubarb Oat Bar combines the flavours of a pie and a crumble into a perfect, little sweet treat
1 ¾ cups fresh strawberries, sliced
1 ½ cups rhubarbs, diced (1cm thick)
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs cornstarch
⅓ cup white sugar
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
170g butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. In a mixing bowl, toss together the strawberries and rhubarb with lemon juice.
3. In a small bowl stir together the cornstarch and white sugar. Add sugar mixture to the fruit and toss again.
4. Mix together flour, oats, brown sugar, butter, baking soda and vanilla in a large mixing bowl until it resembles coarse crumbs.
5. Set aside a quarter of the crumb mixture and press the remaining mixture into the bottom of a greased baking pan.
6. Spread the fruit mixture over the crust and sprinkle over the crumb mixture that was set aside.
7. Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until golden. Cool before serving and cut into squares.