This lemony loaf is light and tangy, making it the perfect treat for morning or afternoon tea! Works great as individual muffins just adjust the cooking time accordingly!
3 large egg
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
½ cup oil (vegetable or canola)
2 Tbs lemon zest
2 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup icing sugar
3 Tbs lemon juice, or as necessary for consistency
METHOD1. Preheat oven to 180˚C. Line loaf pan with baking paper or spray well with cooking spray.
2. Put sugar, eggs and sour cream in a bowl and stir and whisk until smooth, drizzle in oil and continue whisking until combined well.
3. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla extract, and whisk well to combine.
4. Next add the flour, baking powder, salt, and stir until just combined.
5. Pour the batter into pan and lightly smooth the top with a spatula.
6. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until top of loaf is domed and cooked through. In the last 10 minutes of cooking loosely drape a sheet of foil over the pan - this will prevent excess browning.
7. Allow loaf to cool in pan on top of a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. It is crucial to ensure loaf is cooled completely before glazing.
8. In a small bowl add icing sugar and slowly drizzle in the lemon juice, whisk until smooth adding sugar or lemon juice till desired consistency and flavour reached.
9. Drizzle glaze over loaf before serving.