My go to recipe when it comes to seasonal baking - decadent and delicious!
2 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit
1/2 cup craisins
1/3 cup brandy or sherry
100 gram packet glace cherries
200 gram butter, chopped, at room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 orange, finely grated zest
2 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
slivered almonds, to decorate
1. In a non-metallic bowl, combine mixed fruit, craisins and brandy. Mix well. Cover with plastic wrap; set aside 3 hours, or overnight. Stir through cherries.
2. Preheat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Lightly grease a 20cm square cake pan. Line the base and sides with two layers of baking paper, allowing paper to come 2.5cm above the rim of the pan.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar, until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in fruit and zest.
4. Sift flour and spices into a bowl. Add half of flour to creamed mixture, then add half of orange juice and walnuts. Fold in remaining flour, juice and nuts.
5. Pour carefully into prepared pan, packing into corners; smooth top. Decorate with almonds.
6. Bake 2 1/2 hours, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean and dry. If undercooked, bake further 15 minutes
7. Remove from oven. Cover with tea towels. Allow to cool completely. Remove from pan; wrap cake in plastic wrap, then foil.