Warm up with a classic bowl of Pumpkin Soup served with a slice of fresh toast. Keep it simple or add in some extra spices such as thyme, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, or cayenne for a deeper flavour.
1 kg pumpkin or squash
2 Tbs olive oil
2 onions, diced
4-6 cloves of garlic, minced
3 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup cream (coconut cream is great as a dairy-free alternative)
1. Peel, deseed then cut the pumpkin into bite-size chunks. Roast the pumpkin first if you want that extra flavour (30 minutes at 220°C).
2. Add oil, onion and garlic to a large pot over medium heat and stir for about 5 minutes. Add raw pumpkin and cook for a further 10 minutes.
3. Pour in chicken stock then bring the pot to a boil over medium heat then reduce and simmer until pumpkin is soft.
4. Remove from heat and blend the mixture until reaches your desired consistency. Add salt, pepper and cream to taste.
5. Divide the soup between bowls and top with pumpkin seeds and parsley (I also love mine with a dollop of unsweetened coconut yogurt). Serve warm with some toasted bread.